Healing, exfoliating, soothing… it is a true skin hero.
We love Manuka Honey because it not only works for general skin improvement and maintenance, but it can also address a number of issues that irritate skin — like eczema, psoriasis and acne.
While all honey can be healing, Manuka (found specifically in New Zealand and produced by bees who have collected nectar from the Manuka bush) is a step above the honey you find on the grocery store shelf.
Are you ready for a bit of science lesson? Here’s how Manuka Honey works its magic:
- Manuka Honey contains hydrogen peroxide (like all other honeys), but it also contains methylglyoxal which is a natural defense against bacteria. This is especially helpful when it comes to fighting acne and healing irritated skin caused by eczema and psoriasis.
- Manuka Honey is anti-inflammatory, helping skin return to it’s healthiest state
- Because of the sugar content in Manuka Honey, it is a natural humectant. Humectants are all about hydration - they draw water molecules to the skin. When Manuka Honey is combined with other super hero ingredients (like Aloe Vera and Shea Butter), skin becomes moisturized, and that hydration becomes locked in.
- Have you heard of free radicals? Those nasty molecules linked to aging that attack the skin, making it look old before its time? Well, Manuka Honey is packed with anti-oxidants that combat free radicals. This can really help ease the signs of age.
- Manuka Honey can help skin heal — which is why its most-used medical application is in wound care. The thought is that Manuka Honey can hasten skin’s healing time. For those who suffer from irritating skin conditions, this can make the difference between the insomnia caused by relentless itching, and a calm, comfortable night’s sleep.
One of the partners here at Green Leaf Naturals is a native Zealander, and as a Kiwi, she’s been a fan of Manuka Honey as a healing ingredient for years. We discovered that it combines beautifully with other natural ingredients such as our Aloe Vera, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter and more. We've used these ingredients -- in addition to other plant-based skin heroes -- to create our best-selling formulas.